Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teaser Tuesday & Top Ten Tuesday (2)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:



* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!




I knelt next to her "You're right. I can't stop fate, but I can stay one step ahead of her."
She squinted at me. "Can you really do that?"
"Already have." I winked

pg 293 Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder

I resisted the urge to tease you all with an excerpt of my fabulously interesting management text book, but I figured no one would really be tempted to go pick that one up, so I went with Spy Glass instead. You're welcome ;)



***********************************************

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at Broke and Bookish Here is what they have to say: Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time..just post what you can!

This week they are looking for your Top Ten Words, so here are mine- I went with both words I like because they are fun to say and words I overuse on a regular basis.


1. Fontrum: The embarrassment one feels on behalf of people who do not know they should be embarrassed for themselves.

We've all felt this way, we just didn't know what to call it. Now we do.

2. Schadenfreude: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others.

Another one of those words I didn't know existed, but once I heard it everything made sense.

3. Dude: Sometimes used informally as a term of address.

aka- word I picked up while in middle school back in the day and have not been able to purge from my vocabulary.

4. Serenity: the quality or state of being serene

Something I wish to attain, but fail at repeatedly. "Serenity Now!" as Frank Costanza would say.

5. Doppelganger: a ghostly counterpart of a living person

They say everyone has a doppelganger out there- I want to know who mine is, because if she happens to be rich and successful i may want to switch places.

6. Copacetic: very satisfactory

Because we obviously needed a 4 syllable word to tell someone it's "okay"

7.Cantankerous: difficult or irritating to deal with

The dictionary used the example of a cantankerous mule, but I'm pretty sure I've met more people who are irritating to deal with then any of the mules I've worked with.

8. Frontier: the farthermost limits of knowledge or achievement in a particular subject.

Who doesn't want to reach the farthermost limits...plus I wish I had lived on the frontier circa 1880 and wear awesome clothes.

9. Wild: living in a state of nature and not ordinarily tame or domesticated.

Again, the dictionary picked the very apt example of "wild ducks"- not sure that's what I would have gone with, but at any rate, I love the idea of living in a state of nature and not being tame.

10. Tomfoolery: playful or foolish behavior

Because really, who doesn't love a little follish behavior?

Alright, you're up, what are some of your favorite words? How about a teaser from the book you're reading.

10 comments:

  1. I love your first two words! I did not know they existed either! I am going to try to use them in a conversation this week. Now I just need to get down the pronunciation of schadenfreude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you resisted that urge - this was a great teaser! Funny - I had never heard of Maria V. Snyder before today, but now I've read teasers from two or three of her books. Looks like I've found another new writer to check out.

    Here’s my teaser from The Inheritance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your list is copacetic. A word that showed up on my list as well. I can't believe I left Dude off mine. Number 11!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some epic words on here! I love the word tomfoolery as well! My boyfriend things I'm such a nerd when say random words like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks for the great teaser and know how much I appreciate you shared that one and not from your text book :)

    Here's my Tuesday Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost forgot another great word: Shenanigans. That should have been on there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great list! Cantankerous almost made my list...I went with Curmudgeon instead. Here's my list: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-words.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great words! I haven't heard schadenfreude either. Love tomfoolery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool teaser. I hope that you enjoy your book. Here's my Teaser for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete