Saturday, September 25, 2010

I read banned books!

I read banned books. Lots of them. And when I was a kid, even thought they weren't neccessarily banned, I read a whole lot of books that were way above my maturity level. I loved to read when I was a kid, I always had a book with me, and I was that kid with the flashlight under the covers trying to read all night without getting caught. I remember being so excited when I found a bed that had a bookshelf as a headboard- books at my fingertips 24/7!

I can't remember my parents ever telling me no when I wanted a book and because of that the whole idea that a book could be banned was alien to me for a very long time. I thought it was just something that Annie Kinsella raged about in Field of Dreams, but not something that really happened. To me it was a piece of history or a plot line in a movie. It didn't exist, because it wasn't my reality, and I think that's how alot of kids are. Of course now, I see it everywhere, and for the most part it makes me roll my eyes. You can a ban a book, but you can't ban the idea's and lessons contained therein. By telling people, especially kids, that there might be something scandelous enclosed within those pages isn't going to stip them from learning about those things. I'm 100% behind a parent being able to choose what their child is ready for, even better, let the kids decide what they are ready for and be there to guide them and answer their questions.

Every book that is banned has the potential to change someone's world. To teach a lesson, open someones eyes to something they never imagines, to help someone heal. Books are a powerful thing. Maybe that's why some people want to ban them, out of fear for what is contained within those pages. Within those pages is magic. That's what I love about books, it's why I read. Every book is a new adventure. That's why I don't think any book should be banned. If you take a book away from everyone, you might be taking away something that to one person, might be everything, and that would be a shame.

So I'm celebrating Banned Book week by featuring some of my favorite banned books (some that I never would have guessed were banned!) and with a contest. I hope everyone has an awesome Banned Book Week!!

1 comment:

  1. I too read banned books and read books way above my age limit also. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete