Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Event: Ban This & Banned Book Week

This blog will be taking part in Bites - Ban This.
Ban This a month long spin off of ALA's Banned Books Week (9/25 -10/2).

About BBW: Banned Books Week (BBW) is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. Held during the last week of September, Banned Books Week highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States. (more here)

As last years BBW was about to begin, I was just beginning to blog. One of my very first posts was about BBW. A year later and my blog is still going strong, and unfortunately books are still being banned and challenged. Authors are being dis-invited to events for writing books that are "innapropriate" to the age group (Hey there Ellen Hopkins!) and people are trying to decide what we can read for us. This year I've got some stuff in the works- during BBW I'll be featuring a book a day and a giveaway a day. It'll be fast and furious as I share some of my personal favorite banned and challenged books.

Over at Bites they've turned BBW into Ban This- a month long celebration of these great works that set people off. So join in and share your favorites with all of us too!

No comments:

Post a Comment