Sunday, March 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at Broke and Bookish Here is what they have to say:
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND sign Mister Linky at the bottom to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Don't worry if you can't come up with ten every time..just post what you can!

This week is all about what authors you think deserve more recognition- my list if basically going to read like a top ten list of some of my favorite authors. It was hard to make the list- sometimes I wonder if they are really well known in some circles, even though it seems like I'm the only one of my friends who is reading their books. Paring down my massive list took quite a bit of time and even the ones that are fairly well known should have more press, because in my opinion, they are rock stars!

1. Alexie Sherman: I think he gets quite a bit of recognition in certain circles, but I'm always amazed by how many people have not heard of him. He's a phenomenal author who writes poetry, short stories, Novels and YA. His books have been made into movies (Like Smoke Signals- great movie). He is also the author of one of my all time favorite books- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian! I wish more people read Sherman's work- he really is a fabulous author who deserves every bit of press he gets!

2. Paul Goble: Who? Yeah- even I wasn't sure who he was, mostly because I was so hung up on his books as a kid that I never looked to see who wrote them. Once I started buying books for my daughter I realized that the same author wrote several of the books I love including The Girl who Loved Wild Horses and Buffalo Woman.

3. Joseph Bruchac: Another author who wrote so many of my favorite books and who's name I was unaware of until recently.


4. Joseph Marshall III: Here is an author that I've been reading for years. I've read his books as research, for class work and for fun. His book Keep Going: The Art of Perseverance is one of my favorites and I tend to keep it nearby wherever I go.


5. Darby Karchut: Karchut's first book, Griffin Rising, technically doesn't come out until June, so I may be jumping the gun on this one. However, I loved the book and I hoping the word gets out and she gets all the recognition she deserves!


6. Anna Michaels: Her book The Tender Mercy of Roses comes out in May, so I'm ahead of the game again on this one. It's another fabulous book though and deserves every bit of recognition it brings to Michaels.


7. James Kennedy: Have you read The Order of the Odd-Fish? If you haven't you need to get on it. Not only is the book funny and off the wall- but so is Kennedy. Having seen him give a presentation last year at t book fest I immediately picked his book and currently push it on every person who has the ability to read I see. You're going to read it right?


8. Lisa Schroeder: Her books are beautiful and heartbreaking and full of hope. All at once. I wish more people were reading her books because they are truly works of art. My favorite is Chasing Brooklyn, which coincidently made the RITA list. So maybe everyone is taking notice after all ;)


9. Shelton Johnson: I'm about half way through Johnson's book Gloryland. So far, amazing. Then I find out that he's a park ranger and has worked with Ken Burns on some of the amazing documentaries that I watch all the time. Seeing the man on the screen and reading the words on the page bring together a full picture of both the author and the story he tells.


10. Terry Parsinnen: I'm totally biased on this one as Parsinnen was my Undergrad History teacher. The man is a phenomenal teacher and he writes one heck of a book. The one that was most clasely related to my studies was The Oster Conspirancy (about a little known plot to avert WWII), but he has also published books on the history of narcotics and the international drug trade. If you are a history person, his books are totally worth the read!


PS: totally love checking out every one elses lists- I'm seeing ton's of authors I've never heard of but I'm itching to check out!

5 comments:

  1. I've heard Sherman Alexie is a fantastic writer. I really want to read his books. I just need more time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, you have several new to me authors listed here. I'm looking forward to learning more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherman Alexie is from my home town! It was so weird reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, because the places were all places I KNEW. That makes for a very odd reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate! Thanks for the "shout-out!" You just totally made my day! Heck, my week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Kate! I just saw this! Thanks so much for making me and "The Order of Odd-Fish" part of your top ten list. And when you wrote "I immediately picked his book and currently push it on every person who has the ability to read" -- that's music to this author's ears! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete