Monday, May 10, 2010

In My Mailbox


So last week was my first week joining in on Story Siren's In My Mailbox. I hadn't intended on joining in again this week- only because I didn't get anything interesting in my mailbox. I picked up a ton of books at the library, but nothing that neccessarily warranted an entire post. Then I hit the post office today...it was like Christmas! Books everywhere, really interesting looking, exciting books! I got them from Donna, who I work on the BOTM club over at Eve's Fan Garden with and one book in particular caught my eye so much that it's making me want to put down the book I'm reading.

Here's what I got:

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.
* This is the one that really caught my eye. I'm really looking forward to getting into this book*

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...

Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel- Fattah

At school I'm Aussie-blonde Jamie -- one of the crowd. At home I'm Muslim Jamilah -- driven mad by my Stone Age dad. I should win an Oscar for my acting skills. But I can't keep it up for much longer..."

Jamie just wants to fit in. She doesn't want to be seen as a stereotypical Muslim girl, so she does everything possible to hide that part of herself. Even if it means pushing her friends away because she's afraid to let them know her dad forbids her from hanging out with boys or that she secretly loves to play the darabuka (Arabic drums).

But when the cutest boy in school asks her out and her friends start to wonder about Jamie's life outside of school, her secrets threaten to explode. Can Jamie figure out how to be both Jamie and Jamilah before she loses everything?

(all descriptions from Goodreads.com)

And just for the records- here's the rest of the books I got from the library. I've got lots of reading to do!

Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski

Vibes by Amy Kathleen Ryan

You Are Here by Jennifer E. Smith

The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King (this is another one I can't wait to get in to)


2 comments:

  1. Stolen sounds really good! Can't wait to hear what you think of it! Here's my Mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ten Things I Hate About Me sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete