Monday, March 5, 2012

My Ramblings on Girls Don't Fly by Kristen Chandler

Girls Don't Fly
By: Kristen Chandler
Release Date: October 13, 2011
Author Website

Summary:
Myra is used to keeping her feet firmly on the ground. She's got four younger brothers, overworked parents, and a pregnant older sister, and if Myra wasn't there to take care of everyone, they'd probably fall apart. But when her boyfriend unceremoniously dumps her, Myra feels like she's lost her footing. Suddenly she's doing things she never would've a few months earlier: quitting her job, applying for a scholarship to study birds in the Galapogos, and falling for a guy who's encouraging her to leap from her old life . . . and fly. (from goodreads.com)

My Ramblings:
I really enjoyed this book! I've been a fan of Chandlers since I read her book Wolves, Boys and Other Things that Might Kill Me last summer, so when a friend sent me a copy of this book (it's signed!! Thanks Amy!)I was really excited to dive in. It was such a great read. What I really like about this book is that Myra is very easy to relate too. I'm from a small town and I know how hard it is to step outside of that box and do something different and exciting, so it was fun to see Myra try to figure out how to take that step. 

He ex-boyfriend Erik makes the perfect bad guy. He's not a horrible person, but he makes a great catalyst for Myra not only wanting a change, but needing one and having the guts to go for it. He reminded me of the guy that is big man on campus in high school, but who can see that his time is short. On the other Pete is the perfect good guy. He's not pushy in terms of trying to get Myra to apply for the program in the Galapagos, but he also tells her like it is, which is something she really needs. 

This was a great coming of age story that anyone who has ever wanted to leave their old life behind will connect to. By the end you might just be convinced to take a leap and fly too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment