Thursday, January 20, 2011

Whatcha Thinking Thursday


It's time for Whatcha Thinking Thursday, hosted by me! Here's how it works. Each Thursday I'll simply blog about something book related that's weighing on my mind. Feel free to comment away if you agree or disagree (just keep it clean, okay?), or if you want to post to your site either on the same topic or about whatever it is you're thinking about go right ahead. I just ask that you link back to here. Also, make sure you let me know in the comments if you've participated so we can find you!


Admittedly, it's been a REALLY long time since I posted one of these. Not because I wasn't thinking about anything, but I really really busy with holidays and final exams and projects and all that stuff. Pretty soon months had gone by and I realized I hadn't posted WTT! At any rate- I finished homework early this week and have some time to not only think, but also post about it (YAY!!!)

So this week I'm thinking about those books that you can reread a million times and still love...

I was prompted to post about this because of the Sookie Stackhouse books. I recently read a few heavy YA books (Where She Went was one) and some Historical Fiction that really made me think (hello Fools Crow) and I really just wanted something I could read and enjoy without having to think to much, or cry over. Like a shining beacon of light there was my Sookie books. I've read them 3 or 4 times already and even still, I can read them again and really enjoy the fun that's inside. Plus, and let's be honest here, Eric Northman really can make everything better. Even though I already know how each book will end, I'm somehow still sucked into the story and the fun and the humor that's involved. I watch True Blood when it's on, but for me the books are so much better and I really enjoy revisiting them when the mood strikes. The only problem is, with so many books out in the series, I really can't read just one. Once I get started I have tor ead the whole series, which is great for my books read count, but not so awesome for things like getting housework done. Luckily they are quick reads so I can blow through one a night after the munchkin hit the sack!

There are alot of other books that I enjoy rereading- The Mist's of Avalon, Clan of the Cave Bear, The Berrybender Narratives... but all of those require a degree of effort and thought. So for a fun read, no stress, I think I will always turn to Sookie and Company!

How about you? Are there any books that you can read over and over again, that you turn to when you need to just read for fun?

1 comment:

  1. The books I always go back to are the discworld books by Terry Pratchett. Like you, once I start reading I have to finish the series.

    Since the Discworld biiks consist of over 30 books (and that's just the main series, not including Tiffany Aching or the Science of the Discworld books) this takes quite a while.

    I now limit myself to a particular characters set of books, like the Lancre Witches, or the City Watch, or Rincewind and the Wizards, or Death.

    I do reread the Sookie books aswell, I also prefer the books to True Blood, but I do still like to watch it.

    The one place where the show wins over the books(in my opinion)is Eric. I liked Eric in the books, but I love him on the show, it's great seeing him brought to life, or unlife.

    ReplyDelete