Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
By: Suzanne Collins
http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/

I picked up this book in between book of the month books and I couldn't put it down. I think what I enjoyed most about this book is that it's set in a future that is rooted in the United States and that makes it seem like a much more realistic scenario. You cna imagine how life could devolve to the Gladiator like society in this book. At the heart of the story is our heroine Katniss, who sacrifices herself to the Arena (a futuristic version of the Colliseum)to save her sister from certain death. Through her journey into the barbaric arena, her relationship with Peeta and her eventual triumph over the other competitors and the government which is pulling the strings, we get a sense of what it's like to have to fight to survive and protect what you love. I think Collins did a wonderful job creating this new world in a way that you could imagine it happening, which makes the unfeeling nature of the government in the Capital that much more hard to stomach. Overall I thought this was a fabulous book. I thoroughly enjoyed the charecters and the relationships and I can't wait to pick up Catching Fire to get more of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment