Tuesday, December 17, 2013

BIR 2013: Reality Boy by A.S. King


Yesterday I featured Hysteria by Megan Miranda, which was one of the first books I read in 2013. Today I'm featuring and reviewing the last book I read, Reality Boy by A.S. King. I read a lot of books on my iPad, but there are a few authors that I buy their books hardbound. They simply demand to be on shelf. A lot of those authors are the first YA authors I discovered a few year ago when I started reading a lot, and A.S. King is one of those authors. So when Reality Boy came out I had to grab it up and dive in.

My Ramblings:
This story centers around a teenager named Gerald, who when he was 5, was thrust into the spot light on a Super Nanny style show. King does an amazing job weaving the story in a way that you see Gerald's entire life unfolding- from his time on the show to the present day as he tries to escape his past. All the while we find out more and more about why Gerald is the way he is, and that what you see in front of the camera isn't the whole truth, or even the truth at all. We see Gerald at his absolute worst as he tries to come to terms with who he is and who he wants to be. He struggles mightily and doubts that he has it in him to become more then the little boy in front of the camera. Yet, through it all King manages to keep a clear thread of hope, that there is more out there for Gerald if he can just figure out how to get it.

I kept wavering on how I wanted this story to end, what I wanted for Gerald and what I wanted to happen to the people who made him who he is. In the end King tied it all up in a satisfying ending. Gerald isn't perfect, his life isn't perfect, but as you close the book you get the sense that he will be okay.


Summary
Gerald Faust knows exactly when he started feeling angry: the day his mother invited a reality television crew into his five-year-old life. Twelve years later, he’s still haunted by his rage-filled youth—which the entire world got to watch from every imaginable angle—and his anger issues have resulted in violent outbursts, zero friends, and clueless adults dumping him in the special education room at school.

Nothing is ever going to change. No one cares that he’s tried to learn to control himself, and the girl he likes has no idea who he really is. Everyone’s just waiting for him to snap…and he’s starting to feel dangerously close to doing just that.
In this fearless portrayal of a boy on the edge, highly acclaimed Printz Honor author A.S. King explores the desperate reality of a former child “star” who finally breaks free of his anger by creating possibilities he never knew he deserved. (from goodreads.com)

For more on A.S. King and her books check out her website
And don't forget to visit the Best I've Read website to see what all the other participating blogs are up to this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment