Tuesday, December 11, 2012

BIR 2012- The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life!


Day Two: Here's another book that I picked up in WI. A little aside about WI and Books. I do not live in WI but my in-laws do. Every summer we travel over and I get to shop at my all time favorite book store. It's a great little place called Books & Company. We don't have any small independent shops near me and there is something so awesome about walking in and having the workers know every book in the shop and be able to point you to just the right book. I always walk out with more books then I intended to buy, titles I've never heard of and I end up loving every single one. This summer I got 4 of my 5 top books at Books & Company! Today's book is The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Night by Tara Altebrando. 


The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Night
By: Tara Altebrando
Release Date: July 5, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile

Summary:

An all-day scavenger hunt in the name of eternal small-town glory

With only a week until graduation, there's one last thing Mary and her friends must do together: participate in the Oyster Point High Official Unofficial Senior Week Scavenger Hunt. And Mary is determined to win.
Mary lost her spot at Georgetown to self-professed "it" bully Jake Barbone, and she's not about to lose again. But everyone is racing for the finish line with complicated motives, and the team's all-night adventure becomes all-night drama as shifting alliances, flared tempers, and crushing crushes take over. As the items and points pile up, Mary and her team must reinvent their strategy--and themselves--in order to win. (from goodreads.com)

My Ramblings:
The title of this book really hits the nail on the head. Who doesn't want to have an all night adventure with their best friends and get to show up their high school rivals? When you are in High School events like an all day scavenger hunt seem like the most important thing in the world. They can make for the best memories and it seems like this really will be the most important day in your life. Win or lose, everything can change. Still, in the grand scheme of things, is winning a scavenger hunt really all that important. In 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, will winning still be as sweet? Is it worth losing friends over or seeing people you love hurt? I love that this story revolves around those issues, because they are oh so real. 

Mary starts this book off just wanting to make her mark, leave a little legacy behind, but the entire night evolves into everyone one trying to one-up each other and come out victorious. We get to see the best of people and the worst and I think that this fast paced book really gives you a good snapshot view of how High School can be. By having deadlines that the tasks in the scavenger hunt must be completed by it allows the story to move quickly and make leaps towards the eventual, and unexpected conclusion. 

Not only was this a great read, it was especially fun to read on vacation, when I had the time to enjoy the ride and reminisce about great times and missed opportunities. 

The Contest:
That's right everyone- one fabulous part of Best I've Read is that there are a ton of giveaways. On my site, on the main BIR site and on all the other participating blogs sites. What could be better then free books right before the holidays!

Rules of the game: All contests will end at midnight on Friday the 21st. Books will be shipped directly from the publisher, so your information will be shared with them in order to get you your prize! Prizes will most likely not be mailed until after the 1st of the year, so hang in there, they will come! Winners will receive an email from me Saturday the 22nd and you will have 48 hours to claim your prize, so check your mailboxes. All contests are US only unless otherwise noted.

Good Luck and happy reading!

 Don't forget to check out all the other participating blogs:
Best I've Read 2012
Page Turners
Portrait of a Book
Mundie Moms
Books Complete Me
Reading Lark
Once Upon a Twilight
Cindy Thomas, YA Author
I Am a Reader, Not a Writer
Amethyst Daydreams

2 comments:

  1. I would've loved to have done this when I was younger. I think it would have been a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review there! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-best-night-of-your-pathetic-life-by.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! =D

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete