Wednesday, December 18, 2013

BIR 2013: Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick


It's day three of Best I've Read 2013 and it's only fitting that this book is the last in a trilogy. I initially reviewed this book for Eve's Fan Garden in October, and because I hadn't read the first 2 books the publisher was nice enough to send me hard copies of all three books in the Ashes Trilogy. It was an amazing and difficult trilogy to plow through. I had to take several breaks because there was just so much happening and it was hard to take all of it in. In fact when I first reviewed Monsters I said: 

"There is so much emotion packed into these books that I needed a mental break. I was hurting for the characters by the end of Shadows and while I wanted to know how it would all turn out, I was afraid to move forward. This is mostly because Bick does the one think that I appreciate in a good book for then anything. She doesn't sugar coat or hide the bad things in life. And when the world is falling apart there are a lot of bad people and bad things are happening. Good people are left with choices that may lead them to do things they otherwise wouldn't, to turn a blind eye when others are in pain and to choose their own life over the good of many others. Bick shows us all of that, and it's painful and hearth breaking and in the very end it's finally hopeful."

I still feel that way about this entire series. Bick is an extremely honest writer, and in this books, as in her others I would squirm in my seat and mutter to myself as I read  because the story was so real and at times uncomfortable that is was hard NOT to have a physical reaction! And the characters were so easy to love, which made it very easy to get drawn into the story.  

This is a really fantastic trilogy and I'm glad I was able to read them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment