Saturday, December 11, 2010

Book Blogger Survey

I found this survey on the other Blog I write for Eve's Fan Garden- I'm usually not much for these, but it's all about books, so really how could I not be all over it! So lets get to it :)

1. Favorite childhood book?

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. My Dad read us this book all the time and he also painted pictures of some of the scenes for us too. I can rememebr both reading the book with him and helping him paint the pictures. It's the one book I have really solid memories of from my childhood and it's a book that stands up just as well today.

Summary: The Giving Tree is a tale about a relationship between a young boy and a tree in a forest. The tree always provides the boy with what he wants: branches on which to swing, shade in which to sit, apples to eat, branches with which to build a home. As the boy grows older he requires more and more of the tree. The tree loves the boy very much and gives him anything he asks for. In the ultimate act of self-sacrifice, the tree lets the boy cut her down so the boy can build a boat in which he can sail. The boy leaves the tree, now a stump. Many years later, the boy, now an old man, returns and the tree says, "I have nothing left to give you." The boy replies, "I do not need much now, just a quiet place to sit and rest." The tree then says, "Well, an old tree stump is a good place for sitting and resting. Come boy, sit down and rest." The boy obliged and the tree was happy.



2. What are you reading right now?

The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier. I'm about half way through and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's an arc I picked up on a whim at NCTE and I'm really glad I did.

Summary:When Trei loses his family in a tragic disaster, he must search out distant relatives in a new land. The Floating Islands are unlike anything Trei has ever seen: stunning, majestic, and graced with kajurai, men who soar the skies with wings.Trei is instantly sky-mad, and desperate to be a kajurai himself. The only one who fully understands his passion is Araene, his newfound cousin. Prickly, sarcastic, and gifted, Araene has a secret of her own . . . a dream a girl cannot attain.Trei and Araene quickly become conspirators as they pursue their individual paths. But neither suspects that their lives will be deeply entwined, and that the fate of the Floating Islands will lie in their hands. . . .Filled with rich language, and told in alternating voices, The Floating Islands is an all-encompassing young adult fantasy read.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

I've got one on hold- Girl, Stolen by April Henry. I'm really behind on my YA Contemps reading challenge, and this will be the second book I've got my hands on from that list!

Summary: Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen—with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price?


4. Bad book habit?
I'm really rough on my books- after I finish they look like they've been through a war. I hate covers, so those go before i even start reading. I fold pages, I eat while reading and get smudges on the pages and I break the bindings. Alot of people think those are bad book habits, but I have to admit that I really love how a book looks when it's been well loved!

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nothing right at this moment

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Nope- I used a Kindle once as a text book and hated it. I have a netgalley account for reading books online, but haven't even read one yet. I tried to start Delirium, but couldn't get into it. When I actually got the book I tore through it- so that was an eReader fail. I get why people love them- but I'm not ready to give up my books yet!

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I usually have 2 or 3 going. One main book that I'm all over then one or two books that are scattered around the house or in my car that I can pick back up if I'm not into anything else, or if I'm caught somewhere and need a book.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Absolutely. For one I read alot more! I' almost up to 120 for the year, and I know I've never read that many before. I also look at books differently. Not only am I looking to see if I will like it, but if others will as well. I've also become more aware as to whether a book is written well as opposed to just a fun book to read.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
No contest- Speak was so not my favorite book this year.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
So many good books this year- but if I had to narrow down to my top 5 (I know that's not the question, but that's what I'm going with)- I'd go: Delirium and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, Stolen by Lucy Christopher, The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg and The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa.

Word is that there are something like 40 more questions to this bad boy which will be posted in the net few days. So as they go up at EFG I'll add them here too!

2 comments: