Friday, November 12, 2010

Book Blogger Hop


This meme is hosted by Crazy for Books, so hop on over her way to see what she is up to!

Here's this weeks question:
"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"

The short answer is yes. Every once in a blue moon I will pick up a book and read it and not realize it's a sequel, etc. (although that hasn't happened in awhile)- but for the most part I really like to read books in the order in which they were intended, I think you miss something if you don't. The only books that this rule is sketchy with is when the book is a companion book and not a true part of the series (in a chronological sense). Kristin Cashore's Fire and Graceling for instance, or Cassie Clare's Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series. The books deal with the same worlds and some of the same charecters, but you don't have to read one before the other to get the whole picture. I read Fire and Graceling in the correct order, but I read A Clockwork Angel before going to the Mortal Instruments books and I didn't feel like I had missed out.

So again- short answer. Series must be read in the correct order, companion books can go in any order.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm stopping by from the hop :) I also try to read books in the order intended, but I have had a few instances that I found I was reading a sequel. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your short answer sounds like a good general rule. I tend to be pretty rigid about series, but it's true there are some companion books, particularly some romance novels I can think of, where the order wouldn't really be important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I'm stopping by from the Hop

    and I'm a new Follower!

    I think that you get a better understanding of the whole picture when you read a series from the beginning as opposed to reading it out of order. I'm a big believer of reading material as it was intended which in this case would be in order.

    Have a wonderful weekend & Happy Reading!

    Darcy @ Open Book Empty Cup please check me at (openbookemptycup.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping back for a visit from the blog hop.

    Stop by my blog if you like to see my answer to this week's question.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete