Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bleeding Violet

By: Dia Reeves
http://www.diareeves.com/

Love can be a dangerous thing….

Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna’s tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.

But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she’s far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe.
(from diareeves.com)
**********************************

This was an interesting read for me- I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. I hate to give a bad review, beacuse there was alot about this book that I really liked and I really loved some of the charecters, but overall I was kind of left just feeling so-so about it. I loved how imagination and reality swirled together, but at some points I was even confused about what was real and what wasn't, especially since you know that Hanna has suffered from halluciantions in the past. I also really loved Wyatt, who is an initiate in the Mortmaine, aka the protectors of Portero. I thought he was a great charecter, trying to figure out how to do his duty to the town and still retain his own idividuality.

One thing that I will admit that really irked me was that alot of the charecters randomly slipped in and out of accents. Saying things like "You gone go get that"- it struck me as less of a regional accent and more like an uneducated accent, which I don't think was the point. Everytime I got to a sentance like that I kind of got a sour taste in my mouth. I would have prefered that if she were going to pull dialect like that out that is be consistant through the entire book and not rendomly dispersed throughout. I thought that the characters and premis were great, but that I needed more on alot of fronts. More info as to why Portero was the way it was, why Hanna's mother was the way she was, and especially how much of what we get through Hanna's point of view was the reality of living in Portero and how much was her own mental illness.
Overall, I'd call this a decent book, I don't regret I read it, it was a fun, quick, easy read, but I'm not sure I would go pick it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment